[most classes meet from 7:20 to 9:00 in 452 Dodge. Some classes may last longer depending on the intensity of the conversation. Note that the second half of the schedule for the semester is tentative as students proposals or dissertation research presentations are scheduled]
In the first few weeks of the semester you should also check the following links where some of my current work is presented. I will often be referring to these matters:
September 6th -- Constraints and Possibilities in the anthropological imagination about the culturing of humanity - Setting up and planning
September 13th -- [READING PERIOD -- NO CLASS]
- Benedict Patterns of Culture (Chapters 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 8)
- Radcliffe-Brown "On social structure." in Structure and function in primitive society 1965 
- Radcliffe-Brown "Introduction." in Structure and function in primitive society 1965 
- Levi-Strauss "On social structure" (pp. )
- Boon on Benedict and other comparativists (pp. 104-111 in Other tribes, other scribes 1982)
Varenne, Hervé "Difficult collective deliberations Anthropological notes towards a theory of education" Teachers College Record, 2007.
Cremin, Lawrence Public Education and the Education of the Public, 1975
You may also want to look at his Public Education (1976) particularly Chapters 1 and 2. This is the most developed version of his argument)
September 27th -- Cultural facts, as they are being made, collectively and determinedly
VISITOR: Dr. Linda Lin on the project Settings for education in the inner city
related works by Garfinkel:
- Agnes and passing as a woman (from Studies in Ethnomethodology 1967)
- "A conception of, and experiments with, 'trust' as a condition of stable concerted actions." in Motivation and social interaction. Edited by O.J. Harvey, 187-238. New York: The Ronald Press 1963
- "Conditions of Successful Degradation Ceremonies."American Journal of Sociology 61: 420-424. 195
October 4th -- [READING PERIOD -- NO CLASS]
October 11th -- Policing and instructing agents -- Towards a new analysis of the panopticon as community (polity) of practice (see notes for "2006 event") Jean Lave and Etienne Wenger Situated learning: Legitimate peripheral participation. New York: Cambridge University Press. 1991.
October 18th -- Working the places of construction work
De Certeau The practice of everyday life. Berkeley: University of California Press. 1984 
a compatible piece illustrating what can be gained by looking for antipanoptic practices:
Miller, Daniel "Appropriating the state on the council estate," Man, 23: 353-372, 1986
October 25th -- On the conditions of metapragmatic awareness
- Sapir, Edward "Language." in Culture, language and personality Berkeley: The University of California Press, 1966 , pp. 1-44
- Silverstein, Michael "The limits of awareness." Austin, TX: Southwest Educational Development Laboratory, 1981.
- Whorf, Benjamin "Languages and logic." in Language, thought, and reality: Selected Writings of Benjamin Lee Whorf. Edited by J. Carroll,, 233-245. Cambridge, MS: The M.I.T. Press 1956 recommended:
- Silverstein, Michael "Metapragmatic discourse and metapragmatic function." in Reflexive language: Reported speech and metapragmatics. Edited by J. Lucy, pp. 33-58. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1993.
- Whorf, Benjamin "The relation of habitual thought and behavior to language." in Language, thought, and reality: Selected Writings of Benjamin Lee Whorf. Edited by J. Carroll, 134-159. Cambridge, MS: The M.I.T. Press 1956 
- Jakobson, Roman "Concluding statement: Linguistics and poetics." in Style in language. Edited by T. Sebeok, T. Sebeok. New York: Wiley1960
- Jakoson, Roman ""Meta language as linguistic problem." in Roman Jakobson, Selected Writings, VII, p. 113-121. Edited by S. Rudy, S. Rudy. The Hague: Mouton1985 .
November 1st -- Local education (investigation, questioning, reconstructing) about cultural conditions (papers from the special issue of the Teachers College Record)
November 8th -- New constitutions of future conditions through translocal education about local education (papers from the special issue of the Teachers College Record)
- Ranciere, Jacques The ignorant school master. Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press 1999  (Chapters 1, 2, 3)
- Lorimer, Anne "The Cockpit's Empty Chair: Appropriating Alienation at a Technology Museum"
- Mullooly, James "Disciplining those who Discipline in a Jesuit Middle School"recommended:
- Bourdieu, Pierre "The Family Spirit" in his Practical Reason. Stanford University Press 1998 
- Gershon, Ilana " Outspoken Indigenes and Nostalgic Migrants: Maori and Samoan Educating Performances in a New Zealand Cultural Festival"
- Lin, Linda "(Mis-)education into American racism."
- McDermott, Ray & Jason Raley "From John Dewey to an Anthropology of Education."
November 14th -- (Deep) Play -- the possible, unpredictably
Boon, James Verging on extra-vagance ( Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 1999) [Preface, Chapters 1,2,4,6,10,13] (to be introduced by Ms. Lisa Le Fevre)recommended:
- Lévi-Strauss, Claude "Father Christmas executed" in Unwrapping Christmas. Ed. by D. Miller. Oxford University Press 1993 
November 21 -- THANKSGIVING
November 29th -- NO CLASS -- AAA Meetings in Washington
December 6th--Student Work
December 13th--Student Work
Also strongly recommended: