[all classes meet from 7:20 to 9:00 somewhere in Dodge]
September 9th -- Setting up and planning: all students should attend
September 16th -- Constraints and Possibilities in the anthropological imagination -- Introduction
- Benedict Patterns of Culture (Chapters 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 8)
- Radcliffe-Brown "On social structure." in Structure and function in primitive society 1965 
- Radcliffe-Brown "Introduction." in Structure and function in primitive society 1965 
- Levi-Strauss "On social structure" (pp. )
- Boon on Benedict and other comparativists (pp. 104-111 in Other tribes, other scribes 1982)
- Merleau-Ponty The prose of the world. Tr. by J. O'Neil . Evanston, IL: Northwestern University Press 1973 
September 23rd -- Intersticial meanings
Varenne, Mullooly, Sabin and Stratton "On education" n.p.
September 30th -- Complex cultural facts
Durkheim, Emile Elementary forms of the religious life. Tr. by K. Fields. New York: The Free Press1995 . (pp. 1-44, 84-168, 418-448.) (read translator introduction only after you have read the book)
October 7th -- Dissertation advisement:
Adely, Fida "Adolescent girls in Jordan."
October 14th -- Artifice and consciousness -- Modeling the analysis of the conditions of the artificial as jointly produced fact; violence and assymetry;
Bourdieu and Passeron "Introduction" to Reproduction
October 21th -- Working the systems
De Certeau The practice of everyday life. Berkeley: University of California Press. 1984 
a compatible piece illustrating what can be gained by looking for antipanoptic practices:
Miller, Daniel "Appropriating the state on the council estate," Man, 23: 353-372, 1986
October 28th-- Dissertation advisement
Walkley, Susan "Back pain in New York City"
November 4th-- (Deep) Play -- the possible, unpredictably
Boon, James Verging on extra-vagance ( Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 1999) [Preface, Chapters 1,2,4,6,10,13]
November 11th -- Cultural facts, again
|related works by Garfinkel:|
|Agnes and passing as a woman (from Studies in Ethnomethodology 1967)|
|"A conception of, and experiments with, 'trust' as
a condition of
stable concerted actions." (1963)
|"Conditions of Successful Degradation Ceremonies." (1972)|
November 18th --NO CLASS -- AAA Meetings in San Francisco
November 25 -- THANKSGIVING
December 2nd -- Policing and instructing agents -- Towards a new analysis of the panopticon as community of practice
Favret-Saada Witchcraft in the bocage
- Jean Lave and Etienne Wenger Situated learning: Legitimate peripheral participation. New York: Cambridge University Press. 1991.
December 9th-- Dissertation advisement and guest
Vasudevan, Lalitha "
African American adolescent boys telling stories"
December 16th-- Dissertation advisement and guest
Lo, Christina "Buddhist nuns in Taiwan"
December 11th -- Dissertation advisement